i heart learning

i heart learning

Saturday, June 04, 2011

bird milk

Today I learned 2 things.
1. The word 'fecund' and
2. That pigeons and doves produce milk for their offspring.

Pigeon milk sounds a lot more fun than fecund so we shall begin there.

It is true. I know white bird secretions typically manifest themselves as Jackson Pollock art for your car.




But I am here to tell you that maybe what you thought was poop - is actually upchuck.
I thought only mammals were milk makers... but pigeons produce a nutritious milk from their throats we call 'crop milk'. Shocking isn't it? It's like finding out that Arnold has a teenage lovechild. Or that some women have 2 va-jay-jays. (click here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NtRPMRmgEs to shock yourself)

But pigeons making milk is absolutely true.


What is even more shocking is that I learned this fact from a 6 year old! Art Linkletter would have had a field day with this one.

Kids sure say the darndest!
My cousins son told my cousin (who at first adamantly disagreed but eventually discovered it to be true and had to apologize), who told his mother (my aunt), who told me over skype today. The boy really knew what he was talking about. I'm checking under my bed tonight for a boogey-man in case six year olds are right about that too.

Don't forget I also learned the word 'fecund.'
I pop-quizzed my parents and both of them knew the meaning, but had never used it in a sentence. So it is not as rare a word as I thought. I learned it when Julianne Moore said it in 'The Kids Are All Right' (Dad, all right is not a spelling error - alright? It's the film's title)


lets make your garden fecund, you donor you!

Although JM pronounced it fe-cant - the dictionary online pronounces it fee-kund. I like Julianne Moore's way better. It reminds me of the 'decadent,' and finally gives the word 'second' something to rhyme with.
But regardless of pronunciation the meaning is the same.

1.
producing or capable of producing offspring, fruit,vegetation, etc., in abundance; prolificfruitful: fecundparents; fecund farmland.
2.
very productive or creative intellectually: the fecund yearsof the Italian renaissance.

Fecund.
Fecund pigeons must make throat milk to feed their young.
Fecund.
I hope to have very fecund career years ahead.
Fecund.

1 comment:

  1. I like learning new words. Thanks for the lesson du jour, Becca!

    ReplyDelete