i heart learning

i heart learning

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

pork toucher

Today I learned how to cook a pork roast!


This may not sound so impressive to you - especially when you find out that all it required on my part was to unwrap it from it's package and stick it in the oven at 375 degrees (Woohoo for Costco! Mother will be proud) - but let me assure you, it was an extremely monumental moment in my life.

You see, I am a Beccatarian. 
I like meat - but can only eat it if it has been prepared by someone else. I refuse to cook it on my own because touching it gives me the eebie jeebies. If I were Tom Hanks and stranded on an island with only a volleyball, I would attempt to survive on twigs and sand before getting up the nerve to kill a wildebeest and cook its flesh. I simply cannot touch raw meat, and have never cooked it myself in the history of my being able to turn on an oven (unless it was frozen and processed like chicken wings or nuggets - also from Costco). 

So understand the roast was a major feat for me. And even though I held my breath and the slippery pinky lump as far as my arms would stretch away from my body to plop it in the glass thingy I was cooking it in, it was worth it to see the look of 'hmm maybe our future children won't starve to death' look of surprise and appreciation in Nelson's eyes when he got home.

If I had to be stranded on an island my fingers are still crossed that a person who loves to touch meat is right there alongside me - but if not, I'm one step closer to hunting a figurative wildebeest on my own!

1 comment:

  1. Best entry yet? Quite possibly. Also, being comfortable cooking meats may improve your chances of landing a hubby ;)

    I'll spread the word that you're now officially Wife material and see who bites.

    ReplyDelete