i heart learning

i heart learning

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

lip my licecakes

Today I had my very own 'Lip my stocking' moment at a korean restaurant.


It was a hot day. I drove in an un air-conditioned hot car to get to the smallest Korean eatery I have ever seen to sit on a small, hot, sunlit terrace. I secretly wished what I always wish at a restaurant - that I was about to eat nachos instead. But I found a way to glass-half-full-it and order up a dish I thought had potential.
I ordered this. 

spicy fishcakes
And instead I got this...

Ramen noodle soup
Seriously?
Spicy fishsticks....$10.99
Ramen soup....$0.33
Becca's disappointment face when she gets ramen soup on a hot-ass day instead of spicy fishsticks....priceless.

Not only was the soup...well...soup on a sunny day, but it was the hottest of hot soups in the history of Korean hot soups. Not hot as in spicy - hot as in the woman burned her bare hands when she tried to give me the bowl from her tray and had to return with oven mitts to get the delivery done.

Normally I'm a big complainer and I'd have that plate switched in two shakes of a wii remote - but I just didn't have the heart. The woman working was solo. She had told us before she took our orders that we would have to wait a bit because she was cooking as well, plus taking care of the 5 other customers already chopstick chowing. 

And so I commenced slurping, burning my mouth twice on her Ramen, sparing her my bottled up 'I ordered fish!' Oh man I was annoyed...

...until I learned that this was no ordinary ramen soup. In addition to all the Korean spices and trimmings, the cook/owner/server/non-correct-order-taker had added strangely textured chewy potato-looking slices.


And I could just not get enough of them! They are pretty much tasteless - but what they lack in taste they make up in texture. I cannot exactly describe it...but the texture is like a mix between the tapioca balls in bubble tea, and an extremely thick wonton noodle.

It may be my tastiest learn yet.

At first Nelson and I thought they might be the missing 'fishcakes.' But the woman clarified they were 'lice cakes,' (cross my fingers she meant Rice cakes) and that she would add an extra dosage for me next time I came.

Needless to say I brought home ramen leftovers - a definite first for me.
Watch me lip my lice cakes! I tried to wiggle it around to give an idea of texture.



why is it in fast mo?
I dunno!
See it as a pic

I heart rice cakes

4 comments:

  1. Not exactly one of my "to go to restaurants"! Needless to say the quote below would not apply:

    “There is nothing like a plate or a bowl of hot soup, it’s wisp of aromatic steam making the nostrils quiver with anticipation, to dispel the depressing effects of a grueling day at the office or the shop, rain or snow in the streets, or bad news in the papers.”
    - Louis P. De Gouy, The Soup Book (1949)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sireeeee bob.
    I would like to add a quote to Louis P. De Gouy's soup book....

    "There is nothing like a bowl of hot soup, unless of course you did not order it...and it burns you. In that case - there is something like hot soup, and it is called your worst nightmare."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the air conditioning broken in Molly. Please tell me it isn't so, she is dying a slow death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the air conditioning NOT broken in Molly?
    haha - I never actually tried it...I just assumed...

    will try it today and let you know!

    ReplyDelete