i heart learning

i heart learning

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Bay? No way!

When I think of the department store 'The Bay' I think of mumu's, old alfred sung perfume and granny bridget jones panties.


I conceived this opinion after I was barely conceived myself - back in my pre-alphabet days when I thought the 'B' was just fancy ribbon, and I was short enough to see up the shopper ladies' skirts. Not that I looked.

Although I have no precise memory of the moment this notion was born, it is not surprising that as a kid I wrote 'The Bay' off as being a place full of old lady stuff. My mom shopped there - and at 30 she was the oldest lady I knew (besides oma and g-ma of course - who were ancient). What is surprising, however is that I still to this day never set foot in 'The Bay' to shop for myself - based on that viewpoint I made in my single digit age, many moons ago and popsicles ago.

I had never considered updating this judgement until today.
The story:

As usual, I had the 'day off.' So did Erica. So we met at the halfway point between our homes for a sisterly chitty chat - at JAVA U in the fairview mall, where Twilight Part Whatever was playing on their flatscreens. We visited/watched Dakota Fanning as a vampire at the same time - boy she is practically old enough now to shop in 'The Bay!'


Anyways Erica had to go to 'The Bay' and so I tagged along. - reprising my role as 'The Bay' child sidekick. I was surprised she had to go there - Erica is very chic and svelte - not a mothball wearing Kate Olsen dresser in the least...

Kate Olsen got her Bag Lady clothes at 'The Bay' in my mind -  aisle 6, beside felt hats
...I was intrigued...
...and not disappointed...
I learned.....drumroll please..........that they actually have beautiful brand name clothes! And great sales to boot! And boots on sale! Like a nylon snagged on a jagged toenail - it took precisely 3 minutes to tear apart my faulty opinion that took 28 years to build.
In 5 minutes I'd pulled 10 outfits to try....


...and in 15 minutes I'd made my first 'The Bay' purchase! A dress for a wedding I am going to this month. Here is a silky swatch - a little peek at the bombshell I will morph into on July 30th.


Talk about a 180 degree spin! I went from mumu basher to HBC fan club treasurer all within one little visit to my sister. I expect my HBC card to arrive after this mail strike is all sorted.

Thanks Erica for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of 'The Bay!'
Wanna go next Wednesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment