i heart learning

i heart learning

Saturday, May 14, 2011

inuktitut tutorial

Today I learned a little bit about the naming system of the inuit people from Canada's North.
And by learning this I have also learned how truly ignorant I am when it comes to our fellow Canadians to the North. I don't even know what is politically correct to say - was 'fellow Canadians' good or is 'neighbors to the North' better? I did not even know that they have a different alphabet than us. Why did I not learn this in school? As a Canadian is this supposed to be common knowledge?

That's what one little glass of bubbly on a Friday afternoon pre punch-out with colleagues will learn ya.
woohoo for Friday cinq a septs!

I have no idea how we got on the subject, but a colleague who seems to know everything there is to know about Iqaluit and its people told me that they name their children after people they want their children to look like.

As a result my colleague has an Inuit friend with the name 'Gretsky'.

How fun a concept! I'd name my baby girl 'Sedgewick'


And my baby boy 'Goslin'


or 'Dean'


But wait.
It seems on the illegal side to name you children after people you are highly attracted to.
So on second thought I change my boy answer someone I admire instead. Hitchcock. Awesome guy - but so-so and mother-child appropriate on my pheromone-from-photographs scale.


I learned from my colleague also that Inuit names typically end in the 'E' sound.
Adam Sandler lives by this rules for all of his films as well - Bill-Y, Nick-Y, Happ-Y, Bobb-Y, Robb-Y, Sunn-Y, Larr-Y....that's all I can think of for now.

just call me Adam-Y
i could name a baby boy 'Sandler'

ONE MORE INUIT NAME LEARN - until the 70s, the Inuit people just had first names - no LAST NAMES! They eventually had to adopt them or make them up in the 70s when Canada was trying to do their census and like 50 people in every town had the same 'johnn-Y' or 'mike-Y' type name.

If you would like to know more about the Inuktitut language you should pick up this book.


I saw it on another editor's desk once and peeked inside. There are truly phrases for every occasion - including ones such as "I just raped a woman, where can I hide?' and 'I just escaped Jail.'
You know, the necessary phrases one needs to know on vacation.

Tavvauvutit.

No comments:

Post a Comment