i heart learning

i heart learning

Monday, May 23, 2011

St. H = St. Amazing

Today I learned one more reason to love St. Henri.
I am sure the actual Saint Henri was a nice man - but I am talking specifically about my love for the little neighborhood of Montreal named after him - not the red-robed-castle-holding man you see below.

learn alert! saint-henri was a roman emperor
Ever since moving here last August Nelson and I along with Jen and Amelia (who also live here) have become semi-obsessed with proving its the best place to live in this city. We constantly search for new St. Henri gems, and convince ourselves that the graffiti, empty storefronts and sex toys in the toy claw machine at the bar across the street from me gives the neighborhood 'character'.

I saw someone walking their cat on a leash this week! People yell from their balcony's balconville-style! Elderly men on motorized carts stop to have chit chats with you! My kind of ville.

Here are some other St. Henri gems our clan have discovered thus far:

1. Au but, the 'Through the Looking Glass' version of Costco.

2. the market on Notre Dame, running Saturdays during the summer/fall seasons, where Nelson and I get more fruits and veggies that we can eat for the entire week for 20$.

3. Makmak. It's the 'best thai food in town' / the only thai food in town....but it is amazing nonetheless. The bubble tea there is to die for.

4. St. Ambroise brewery. A brewery on the canal you literally ride your bike or rollerblade into for beers and burgers.

5. The old malt factory. A picture is worth a thousand words...


The list goes on. And both yesterday and today I have added new favs to that list I am dying to shout from the rooftops.

In addition to discovering yesterday that the dep across the street from my house sells authentic jamaican spicy patties for 1.25$....(yayayayay!) I learned today that there is an ice cream wagon that strolls through the neighborhood ringing his bell selling cool treats the old fashioned nostalgic way! It was amazing! His chime chimes were accompanied by the squeals of three young kids chasing him down on their bikes - and who could blame them? I'm pretty sure I let out a little squeal myself.

Us Saint-Henriers aren't the only people in the love with this working-class n-hood. There is a documentary that is currently playing in a Montreal theatre called 'St-Henri, the 26th of August' that I will be checking out this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment