i heart learning

i heart learning

Thursday, April 14, 2011

sugaring off and vaseline

Jen said today she was planning to go 'sugaring off' this weekend.
So I had two choices.

1. Say 'Oh how fun!'
2. Ask 'What is sugaring off?'

In the half second that I silently mulled over my options, three potential definitions flashed through my mind simultaneously, like his life flashing before a dead man's eyes.

  • It could mean she is going skiing one last time for the season (at Sugarbush Mountain)
  • It could mean she is involved in a baking contest. or a candy eating one.
  • It could be another way to say 'f#$% off'

Maybe it meant something sad - like she was starting a no sugar diet. And in that case, my saying 'Oh how fun!' would be totally inappropriate. No sugar is not 'oh how fun!'

So I opted for option 2. Leaving myself wide open and vulnerable to Jens criticism and eye rolling. She did not disappoint.

ME: What's sugaring off?
JEN:Are you serious?
ME: Yeah..what is it?
Jen: Becca! Sugaring off!
ME: what is it?
JEN: have you seriously never heard of it before?
ME: NO!
JEN: Everyone knows what that means.
ME: ....
JEN: It's when you go to the sugar shack and do the whole maple syrup thing.
ME: Oh. I like that. Sugar off.


It turns out 'sugaring off' is the correct term for what I call 'sugar shacking.' Visiting the places where maple syrup is produced, taking the tour through the woods, eating tons of mapley brunch stuff and eating fresh syrup off of popsicle sticks in the snow.

That is twice within two weeks Jen has helped me to become a better Quebeccor.

Maybe I can teach her that 77% of the worlds maple syrup comes from Quebec so sugaring off is a must! Or maybe I can teach her a thing or two about vaseline.

***

I also bought a tub of vaseline today for my dry dry nose, and I thought to myself 'What in the heck is vaseline used for anyways besides lipbalm and nose lube?'

I learned that it is the ultimate beauty tool:

You can use it on your eyelashes to make them thicker and longer. 
You can use it on split ends
You can use it as shaving cream
You can use it for cuticles. 
You can use it to get an even tan
You can use it as stain remover 
You can use it as makeup remover.
You can use it to tame unruly eyebrows!!!
Theres more - link here to see 50 uses.


It is no wonder that Tyra Banks is America's Next Top Advocate of Vaseline.


WE ALL NEED VASELINE!!!!!!!! I NEED VASELINE, AND YOU NEED VASELINE!!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! HAIRY LEGS NEED VASELINE! UNTAMED BROWS NEED VASELINE! TANS NEED VASELINE! RAW RAW RAW!!!!!!

I know my nostrils really adore the stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Ok so I opened you tube, Tyra Banks, watching that was one time to many , what a messed up bunch of people... and of course she was right out to lunch... can not in my wildest dreams think that people would be that nuts over vaseline, doesn't matter how many sequins they put on that jar,its still just vaseline,, At least Oprah gives away, her favourite things and its not vaseline unless shes planted a ring at the bottom of the jar.
    By the way it is really good on the feet

    ReplyDelete