i heart learning

i heart learning

Saturday, April 23, 2011

skis are not forever

I am very happy that it is spring.
But I am very unhappy that it is spring.

On the happy note - the snow is gone. Spring means rollerblades, tennis, and boyfriend blazers. Trade in those bulky Sorels for cute flats!
But on the bad note - spring means the snow is gone and my ski pass I swore I would use everyday was used only twice this season. I needed to use it 5 times to break even-steven for the price I paid for it. I beat myself up with my mind as i spring-cleaned my unused equipment back down to our lonely storage space yesterday.

I was consoled by reminding myself that my new skis, poles, boots and goggles would still be their next year, and every year after that for the rest of my life.

Then I met Adam. The consolation crusher.

As I was relating this waste-of-money-but-oh-well-skis-are-forever tale to a group of bbq-ing friends tonight Adam burst my bubble of naivety faster than you can say 'becca's $120 in the hole!'

Adam: You'll change your skis in about three years.

Me: What are you talking about?

Adam: ski equipment - it's only good for like a 120 days of skiing

me: WHat? No, You just wax it then and they're like new. Our family used the same skis for like 15 years!

Adam: no they're no good after 120 times Their cores aren't good anymore after that.

Turns out Adam knows what he is talking about. He sells ski equipment for a living, and has skied his whole life.
Bummer. I had justified going into more mastercard debt this winter by convincing myself that skis were a once-in-a-lifetime necessary purchase. 

I suppose the one perk to all the non-skiing I did this season is that at this rate my next pair of skis will be purchased in 2061.

No comments:

Post a Comment