i heart learning

i heart learning

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I want an old guy in my pocket

Today I learned about Bill Cunningham. I head never heard of him.


He is the sweetest 80-something year old and I want to squeeze him and keep him in my pocket.
He is one also more reason that my first time visit to New York City is long overdue.

I was invited tonight to a documentary premiere about Bill called 'Bill Cunningham New York' and was blown away by his genius and humility. If you are into fashion, photography, NYC or sweet old talented men you have got to see this doc! It is inspirational!




Bill is a fashion photographer for the New York Times who rides his bicycle all over NYC in his blue jacket taking photographs of people wearing interesting street fashion. His column is called 'On the Street' and the New Yorkers love him.


http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/09/13/fashion/shows/20080913-street-feature/index.html
Check out a slideshow of his work

He says the streets 'speak to him,' and he has been doing it for years. Designer Oscar de la Renta has said "More than anyone else in the city, he has the whole visual history of the last 40 or 50 years of New York. It's the total scope of fashion in the life of New York."






If I ever go to NYC you can bet I'll be dolled up in my streetiest of street fashion and loitering in his favorite picture-taking hangouts. Even today I funked myself up in a gorgeous outfit by Mosaik Montreal just in case dear Bill could see me through the projected image sitting in the corner of the dark theater. http://www.mosaikmtl.com/




take my photo billy boy
**photo by Sebastien Roy



I wish I was as clever as Bill. Maybe I'll try being the Bill Cunningham of my neighborhood. Of course in St. Henri I'd likely get a fist in the face - so there would be a few minor differences. I'll be on roller blades wearing a trench, and my subject will be the fur fashions of street cats. Oh - and I wouldn't be as humble when people offered to pay me. You know - minor stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Great picture , loving it
    Your ready to hit the streets of NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Matthew CameronApril 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

    You are gorgeous miss Luuci!!! great pic!

    How often do you think when taking photos of people on the street does Billy get mistaken as a "dirty old man" rather then the renown photographer?

    I bet it’s happened a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes he is mistaken for a perv on occassion.
    There is a great scene from the film where a girl says 'Hey don't take my f$%^ing picture! I'll break your f@$%ing camera over your head!'

    gotta love New York

    ReplyDelete